margiesims.com is now faithformom.com  - Faith. Funny. Life with Ten Kids.
RSS Follow Become a Fan

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts

Storming the Castle
Thirty One Years
Upward.
The Power of Presence
Proms and Prayers

Most Popular Posts

The Green Tennis Ball
My High Flying Tiger
A Good Sign
Proms and Prayers
A Whole, Entire, Complete Day Off.

Categories

Faith
Family
Fan (Book Reviews)
Food
Friends
Fun
Fundamentals
Funds (paying for college)

Archives

April 2011
March 2011
February 2011

powered by

The Bloggy Mommy

Captain Fun Strikes Again

Writer John Trent says people basically have one of four personalities:  beaver, lion, otter or retriever.  My husband, aka Captain Fun, is a fun-loving otter who is always trying to force fun on me.  It gets annoying when you're a working beaver.

When we took our daughter, Bethany, to NYC for the day for her 21st birthday last summer, Captain Fun had to bring  all the kids back down just 48 hours later.  No problem.  It was only 8 kids and Grandma.

When it's under 50, he'll ask who wants to go for a walk.  When the temps are above 50, he wants to play baseball.  Or soccer.  Or football.

During TV shows, he rewinds funny commercials.

When we go to the lake, he begs me to swim.  I prefer the lawn chair, thank you.

And today the snow measured almost two feet on our  hill , so sledding was the order of the day.

I was doing my usual beaver-like activities--sweeping, cooking, laundry.  After all, I had been gone for five days and things were a little messy.

"Can I talk you into sledding?" he said, poking his frosty face around the door.

"No.  It's Sunday.  I'm resting."

"Awe, come on.  Your children need to have one memory of you sledding with them."

"They do," I said. "I have  pictures."

"No, that was the older kids--the grown ones. The younger kids don't have any memories of you sledding with them."

Darn. He was right. But winter is far from over in upstate NY, I argued.  Captain Fun was not going to get to me today.

I swept for a few more minutes, stomping around, listing out loud all the reasons why I didn't want to go out.  Then I went out.

"You're out!" he exclaimed.  Surprise, surprise.

We rode double down the driveway and I laughed hysterically on each trip.   Three year old Silas went repeatedly all by himself.  The faster he went, the louder squealed.  And the teens and pereteens came out when they heard Mom was sledding today.  (Better come, Captain Fun said, it's the only chance you'll get to sled with Mom in your childhood.)

After the sledding, he insisted on a snowball fight.  I tolerated it.  Hitting him with snowballs helped.

I hate to admit it, but if it weren't for him, I would never take the time to have fun with the family.

"Thanks for coming out today," he said.

No, thank you, Captain Fun, for helping this beaver remember to think like an otter.

Margie

PS John Trent's website is www.strongfamilies.com

12 Comments to Captain Fun Strikes Again:

Comments RSS
Debie Riley on Monday, February 28, 2011 3:14 AM
I am so glad Captain Fun has that power over you - Delightful! Love you Sister!
Reply to comment

Margie on Monday, February 28, 2011 5:34 AM
It's painful but I know it's for the best. Love you, too! Margie
Reply to comment

Rachel Seavers on Monday, February 28, 2011 5:36 AM
I love to read what you write! You have such a gift, Margie! And the memories you and your family will have of that day are priceless!! Thanks for sharing!
Reply to comment

Margie on Monday, February 28, 2011 5:45 AM
Hi Rachel! Thanks for telling me that. It was fun, I admit. How do you like the hill in your yard? And have y'all used the pond? Fun, fun. Miss you. Come see us--Cooperstown awaits!

Sherry Shelton on Monday, February 28, 2011 7:46 AM
Everyone needs a Captain Fun in their life. love you both.
Reply to comment

margie on Monday, February 28, 2011 6:28 PM
Amen,sister!

Kim Lang on Monday, February 28, 2011 12:16 PM
Oh Margie...this is so funny! I think Captain Fun should be a chapter book...called 'The Never Ending Adventures of Captain Fun.' It ws so great to see you...missing you already!! Love you, Kim
Reply to comment

margie on Monday, February 28, 2011 6:13 PM
Hey, I like that idea of a chapter book! I miss you, too. What a terrific week last week. Thank you for your hospitality. Love you!

Meredith Wiegman on Saturday, March 05, 2011 2:59 AM
You are so blessed to have such a fun-loving, caring husband who loves to spend time with his kids and his wife. I definitely think he's more an exception to the rule as far as husbands go!
Reply to comment

swiss army watch women on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 12:40 AM
I do not even understand how I stopped up here, however I assumed this post was good. I do not recognize who you are but certainly you're going to a well-known blogger for those who are not already ;) Cheers!
Reply to comment

ray ban new wayfarer on Monday, January 19, 2015 12:59 PM
Thanks for sharing these kind of wonderful discussions. In addition, the ideal travel and medical insurance program can often relieve those considerations that come with travelling abroad. A new medical crisis can shortly become very costly and that's guaranteed to quickly impose a financial stress on the family's finances. Setting up in place the ideal travel insurance offer prior to setting off is definitely worth the time and effort. Thanks
Reply to comment

Suzanne on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 5:44 PM
Knowing you two years ago, back in Memphis, I was vividly picturing this whole thing!!! Tell Robert hello, & I enjoyed reading this.
Reply to comment