margiesims.com - Faith. Funny. Life with Ten Kids.
RSS Follow Become a Fan

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts

Storming the Castle
Thirty One Years
Upward.
The Power of Presence
Proms and Prayers

Most Popular Posts

The Green Tennis Ball
My High Flying Tiger
A Good Sign
Proms and Prayers
A Whole, Entire, Complete Day Off.

Categories

Faith
Family
Fan (Book Reviews)
Food
Friends
Fun
Fundamentals
Funds (paying for college)

Archives

April 2011
March 2011
February 2011

powered by

The Bloggy Mommy

The No-Phone Zone

Many, many years ago when my oldest two children were little, we lived on the edge of a cotton field just outside of Memphis.  We had two kids, one car, and few neighbors.  Almost every day I would take the kids on the 3/4 of a mile walk down the gravel road to the mail box in hopes of hearing from the latest editor to whom I had sent a submission.

Life was simple.  Because we had no car during my husband's work hours, there was no where to go; with our very limited budget, there was nothing to buy. As Bethany and Tiger put it, they had a cotton field and a mud puddle.

Fast forward eight more kids and twenty years. We have two cars, Internet, cable, iPods, iPhones, an XBox, and a Wii.

Hands Free Mama, one of the few blogs I usually take time to read, said it best.  It was her recent post "A Reason for the Listening Face" that actually got my wheels turning about being more intentional about the time we spend on all these gadgets.  You can read it here: http://www.handsfreemama.com/2014/02/25/a-reason-for-the-listening-face/

Have you gotten your iPhone yet?   Could you tell me where the self-control app is located?

I don't want my kids to remember me always looking at my iPhone while they are talking to me.  And from this day forward, I am going to be more intentional about it.

Here are my on purpose No Phone Zones:

• mornings before school.
  • afternoons after school.
  • any time the family is hanging out.
  • dinner time and just before bed.

In her book, It's Always Something, the late Gilda Radner tells a story about her cousin's dog who got tangled up with a lawn mower and lost her hind legs. The dog was expecting a litter of puppies, Radner writes, and they thought for sure she would have to be put down.  But surprisingly the vet said no, the puppies were fine; she could deliver them.

The dog eventually learned to walk without hind legs: step, step, scoot; step, step, scoot.  The time came; she delivered the puppies.  She nursed them and weaned them.  And when they learned to walk, they all walked like their mother.

No, there's no self control app on that screen, only inside of me.  And if my kids are going to learn social media etiquette, it has to start with me.

For we all know that kids grow up and not to do what we say, but what we do.

9 Comments to The No-Phone Zone:

Comments RSS
Pan on Monday, March 24, 2014 1:36 PM
This is a wonderful message. I have noticed when families are out to dinner everyone is on a device and no one is talking or laughing. It is so sad.
Reply to comment

margie on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:47 AM
Sure was plenty of laughter around your dinner table when we were kids. Especially when I read the Bible verse for the night and in my ignorance pronounced the "P" in Psalms!

Emma Sims on Monday, March 24, 2014 2:02 PM
This is true mommy. Whatever you do, I do. If you began walking like that dog, you can bet that you would have 10 kids step step scooting right behind you. Love you!
Reply to comment

margie on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:46 AM
Thank you, my sweet Emma!

nike training shoes cheap on Thursday, May 08, 2014 5:45 PM
That's the decision and we'll stand by that. Answer the common nike training shoes mens with wit and confidence. Using an elliptical machine is less stressful on your knees, hips and back than is running on a treadmill.
Reply to comment

repliques montre on Thursday, May 22, 2014 5:55 AM
Pote des v adapt a temp ext : ne pas pote de v top chads os de s dans n endoit pa exempe o a temp d 25 degAvoi pot de a main n v de echange. Po ps de sécité, vos povez e fixe sos n fond de teint ce qe j'ai fait. Le respect d? à la peur m'empêche de croire que l'illusion de la domestiquer par l'écriture éteigne la conscience, enfouie au fond de l'ame, qu'à la première occasion elle mordra à nouv replique montre , suivant ainsi sa nature.
Reply to comment

www.steinhartuhren.de on Monday, June 23, 2014 12:51 AM
Angie ist doch die fleischgewordene Bewegungslosigkeit. Weitere Studien, unter anderem durch die Universit?t Erlangen-Nürnberg und der Deutschen Sporthochschule K?ln belegten die Effektivit?t von EMS-Training. Also hier scheint heute die Sonne und das ist echt sch?n, was ist mit dem Mai sonst nur los In vielen St?dten ist ja Hoch steinhart uhren kaufen , ist einer von euch betroffen? [23]Im Mai 2011 bekundeten Facebook, Google[24] und Microsoft[25] Interesse an einer ??bernahme von Skype. Diese Aufgaben k f einzelne Steuern oder in gr Umfang auf die Europ Union w steinhart uhren shop n, wenn die EU eines f und demokratisches Gebilde w von dessen Parlament die Regierung (Kommission) gew wStattdessen haben wir den klassischen EU-Rat, in dem die Regierungen in Hinterzimmern tagen.
Reply to comment

contrefacon montre tissot on Friday, June 27, 2014 12:31 AM
Station de biologie des LaurentidesPour les informations de la Base de Données Topographique du Québec (BDTQ), c'est-à-dire toutes les couches d'information que l'on retrouve sur les contrefacon montre rado s topographiques standards à l'échelle 1/20000, se rendre sur le site des données géospatiales de l'Université de Montréal. If a website is wiing enogh to pt a feedback potion on thei site then most ikey the website owne is not afaid to get bad feedbacks.
Reply to comment

swissarmy on Monday, January 05, 2015 8:43 PM
You must take part in a contest for top-of-the-line blogs on the web. I will suggest this web site!
Reply to comment