margiesims.com - Faith. Funny. Life with Ten Kids.
RSS Follow Become a Fan

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts

Storming the Castle
Thirty One Years
Upward.
The Power of Presence
Proms and Prayers

Most Popular Posts

The Green Tennis Ball
My High Flying Tiger
A Good Sign
Proms and Prayers
A Whole, Entire, Complete Day Off.

Categories

Faith
Family
Fan (Book Reviews)
Food
Friends
Fun
Fundamentals
Funds (paying for college)

Archives

April 2011
March 2011
February 2011

powered by

The Bloggy Mommy

Proms and Prayers

All eleven of us were sitting around the dinner table last week when it dawned on me--it's that time of year again.

"Ben, isn't Prom coming up soon?"

"Saturday night,"  he said, gulping down another bite of Pioneer Woman's Sour Cream Noodle Bake. (Love that stuff.)

"Aren't you going?" asked Captain Fun.  Not a surprising question coming from the Captain.

"Wasn't planning on it."

The Fun in Captain Fun took over.  "You should go, Ben.  It is your Senior Prom."

"You're going to regret it," I said.  "I didn't go to my prom, and I regret it."  I know about these things, even though my nickname lacks the word fun.

Ben explained himself.  "I wasn't even going to mention it after the car and the choir trip expenses."

Ben put a ping in the 12 passenger van a few weeks ago. Okay, a little more than a ping.  Call it a mega-ping to the tune of $2000.

"I want to buy you a ticket, Ben," insisted the Captain.  The conversation lingered over dinner; the other siblings chimed--or clamored-- in (the Sims kids have been known to raise their hands at the dinner when deemed necessary).

Mom Dot chimed in, too. "I just want to see you in that tux with that high voltage smile of yours."

The Captain talked him into it.  I wrote the check, but Ben left it sitting on the counter the next day.  Time was short, but he vowed he would buy one.

That night while we were in the throws of March Madness, the doorbell rang.  No one was there.  I confess I blamed Silas. One of his pranks, I thought. (Sorry, Silas.)

Then Dorothy noticed something.  An envelope. Taped to the door.  With BEN SIMS written on it.

Ben wasn't home. We oohed and ahhed.  Mom Dot held it up to the light, then shook it and said steam might do the trick.  She then suggested opening it in a way that looked like an accident.
When Ben got home from work the kids mobbed him, smashing the envelope into his hand.

He opened it with an audience--there's always an audience at our house.  $200 tumbled out.  Ben read the anonymous note:
Dear Ben,

Your love of God and people is refreshing in this day and age. It has come to our attention that you may not be attending your prom.  Please use this money for Prom (or however else you may seem fit).
Psalms 37:4

Ben was touched.  And I don't think he would mind my telling that he even got a little teary.

"What a witness you are, Ben," I said.

But there was even more to it than that, and I knew it.  This, like so many other things that have happened during his final year of high school, was an answer to a mother's prayer.

I know you moms understand the sort of prayer I'm talking about.  The  kind of prayer that you pray when friendships are slow to form, when not everyone is nice, when things get hard. When your kid goes to three different high schools in four years, you worry a little.  And you pray a lot.

So I started praying somewhere along the middle of his junior year.  Lord, please take care of Ben. Give him a fun senior year.  He is such a people person, Lord, just send him some fun.

Then last September he got voted onto the homecoming court (but that's a blog for another day). And this spring he was voted Most Outgoing of the senior class. Then someone anonymously paid his way to Prom and wrote him a note he will never forget. What's more, he got voted Prom King.

"Be anxious for nothing," Philippians 4:6 tells us, "but  in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."

Pray for, with, and about your kids. When they are little, when they are teenagers, when they are grown. Pray about the big things.  Pray about the little things.  Pray about everything. That's what it says.  Everything.

Even the Prom.

18 Comments to Proms and Prayers:

Comments RSS
Rose Tenney on Friday, April 11, 2014 11:49 AM
How beautiful! And he looks so happy - Mom Dot is right about that smile! Congratulations to him, not for Prom King (although that is neat) but for being the kind of kid who puts others ahead of himself. He will have many rewards in this life and the next.

windows 8 professional key on Tuesday, June 17, 2014 11:43 PM
windows anytime upgrade windows 7 from starter to home premium invalid key , windows 7 professional key , windows 7 professional product key , window 7 product key , make windows xp sp3 genuine for ever , -aT$TPy{

Debbie on Saturday, April 12, 2014 5:19 AM
Wow - Ben is a beautiful example for young men - you and Robert are the influence there - Love this one Sweet Sister!

Becky Dalton on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 3:54 AM
Ben you are such an example of walking in faith. Your love for God and your amazing personality just shines His light. I'm so excited for the plan God has for you!

bulk voice call on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 12:09 AM
What would all of us do without the brilliant tips you talk about on this web site? Who else has the perseverance to deal with critical topics with regard to common subscribers like me? I actually and my friends are very happy to have your site among the ones we usually visit. We hope you know how much we enjoy your working hard! Best wishes through us all.

Liza Seibert on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 10:21 AM
I just can't hear that story enough times! Thanks for blogging about it!

Elaine ghanger on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 10:25 AM
Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Matthew 6:33 Keep seeking God Ben. You will be a witness to many.

nike training shoes sale on Thursday, May 08, 2014 5:45 PM
No hay que olvidar, en cualquier caso, que los materiales empleados por Sam nike training shoes women g ya son de alta calidad, lo que no nos hace temer en absoluto por la integridad del aparato en cualquier caída involuntaria. That means it only takes about $325 a month to become a millionaire. LOLOh ya, don't forget to leave him some milk and cookies!

replique montre on Thursday, May 22, 2014 5:55 AM
On sait toutefois le prélat grand lecteur de José Luis Borgès et de Dosto?evski, amateur d'opéra et fanatique du club de football de Buenos Aires San Lorenzo, fondé par un prêtre. Maintenant q'i vient ici je sis débosoé et je ne sais pas pa qoi commencé , i a pas e doi ni a bose ni a ogement d CROUS qe faie apès sa ? L Laval se distingue aussi par un programme de ma sur la consommation mis en cette ann Cela nous aidera d les connaissances dans le domaine.

steinhart uhren on Monday, June 23, 2014 12:52 AM
? Dabei herausgekommen ist ein neues ?Erstelle einen Sim?-Werkzeug: Ben Bell schiebt Regler hin und her und ver?ndert dadurch Haar- und Hautfarben, macht Figuren dicker und dünner. Nicht zuletzt deshalb haben sich Winzer, Weinh?ndler, Gastronomen und Gemeindevertreter dazu entschlossen, nicht mehr nur die Str?nde und den Teide, sonderrn auch die Weinberge Teneriffas touristisch zu vermarkten. Das Spielgeschehen selbst ist von seiner ausgepr?gten Schlichtheit gepr?gt. "Wir werden immer dort einschreiten, wo Regeln umgesetzt werden müssen. Gangwechsel per Schaltwippe gelingen geschmeidig und pr?zise, der Fahrkomfort ist hoch, abgesehen davon, dass die Cali auf kurze, harte St??e unwirsch reagiert.

online sport on Tuesday, August 12, 2014 3:03 PM
Aber versuche mich zu erinnern Ziel ist es, ist immer, heben Sie Ihre Wahrscheinlichkeit profitable.Das Geld Verwaltung Technik weiterhin zu halten Sie von Loeschen helfen koennen kann auch helfen Sie auf jeden Fall erhalten bekommen sich a besser gewinnen Anteil .

verstehen Wettquoten on Wednesday, August 27, 2014 11:36 AM
Diese erhoeht verbessert Ihre Gewinne eine betraechtliche Menge .Bodog ist eine der zaehlt die hoechste Top-Qualitaet und sichersten Orte Gebiete bis schaetzen Online zusaetzlich.

bulk email service provider on Tuesday, September 30, 2014 8:46 PM
I%20just%20want%20to%20say%20I%20am%20just%20beginner%20to%20blogging%20and%20site-building%20and%20really%20enjoyed%20your%20blog.%20Chances%20are%20that%20I%20want%20to%20do%20with%20your%20blog.%20You%20certainly%20have%20excellent%20article%20content.%20Thank%20you%20for%20sharing%20with%20us%20your%20website.,

bulk email service provider on Tuesday, September 30, 2014 8:46 PM

bulk email service provider on Tuesday, September 30, 2014 8:46 PM
I just want to say I am just beginner to blogging and site-building and really enjoyed your blog. Chances are that I want to do with your blog. You certainly have excellent article content. Thank you for sharing with us your website.

Office Paper Products on Friday, October 31, 2014 9:58 AM
Many people do not have info on topic like spousal maintenance, i liked it. Thanks for sharing.

used luxury watches on Tuesday, December 30, 2014 11:22 PM
Thanks for some other informative website. The place else may just I am getting that type of information written in such an ideal method? I've a project that I'm just now operating on, and I've been at the glance out for such information.

adresy on Friday, January 23, 2015 6:48 AM
This is recommened since greater part trainer hard drive is without a doubt complicated and gates not to mention make an application the right, but focused on fill the bill.