Margie Sims. Mom of Ten.  - Helping You Prepare Your Kids for Liftoff.
RSS Follow Become a Fan

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts

Remembering My Mom
Hurricane Elvis
Storming the Castle
Thirty One Years

Most Popular Posts

The Green Tennis Ball
My High Flying Tiger
Proms and Prayers
A Good Sign
A Whole, Entire, Complete Day Off.


Fan (Book Reviews)
Funds (paying for college)


April 2019
January 2019
September 2018
August 2017
June 2017
May 2017
April 2017
January 2017
December 2016
November 2016
October 2016
May 2016
March 2016
February 2016
December 2015
November 2015
October 2015
September 2015
June 2015
May 2015
April 2015
March 2015
January 2015
December 2014
November 2014
September 2014
July 2014
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011

powered by

The Big Picture

Hurricane Elvis

Sitting here with Kevlar on my windows while the last of Hurricane Gordon pours a steady rain has given me pause to reflect on the only hurrican Memphis ever had. If you're not from Memphis, you probably don't know about Hurricane Elvis, as it did not make the national news.  I remember it well, though, because Hurricane Elvis marked the beginning of one of the greatest storms of our lives.  I hope it encourages somebody in the midst of a trial.  

On July 22, 2003, we were living in Memphis and expecting our 8th baby. That afternoon was like any other July day; the air was still, the temperature was hot, and the kids were bored.  Then the wind quietly, even eerily, stirred.  The sirens did not sound (when you grow up in Memphis, you grow accustomed to the tornado sirens), but the wind was not merely bending and snapping the trees, but sending them flying. Straight-line winds, we learned later; they act like a tornado, only without the funnel cloud. 
 It was quick.  It was quiet.  And the damage was extreme. The power was out, debris filled the yard.   We all went outback, and as I waded through the broken branches, I saw the tiniest baby squirrel on the ground, umbilical cord still attached.  For some reason, it made me think of my own baby.  A sign, I would soon learn.

That night, in the middle of the night, I lost the baby at seven weeks along.  It was my first miscarriage after having seven normal pregnancies that produced big, fat, overdue babies. Traumatic, to say the least.
Two days later, the power still out, we threw away all of the food in fridge.  For a family of nine, it was a small fortune. 
On day three, the transmission on the car went out. Cha-ching.
On day four, some dear friends invited all nine of us to stay with them until our power was restored.  I was so grateful to get a hot meal and a hot bath.  A tiny bit of relief.  I love those folks; I will never forget their hospitality. 
On day five (in our neighborhood, anyway) the power was restored.  People were cheering the MLG&W workers in the streets. 
With power on, we went home and restocked our fridge, only to realize by day seven that it had gone ka-put.  For the second time, we threw away our food. And we bought a new fridge. Cha-ching. 
On day eight, the A/C joined the ranks of the transmission and the fridge.  Ka-put. Air conditioning in July in Memphis is not an option. Cha-ching. 
In span of eight days, we lost our baby and our savings.  The stress was unbelievable. It was the most pressure we had been under since we had been married. Hurricane Elvis left a mark I have never forgotten.
Fast forward one year.   Baby Dorothy was twelve weeks old and we had just moved to Vermont. Our new friends had invited us to the annual Mozart Festival in Stowe; I was holding her while watching the sun sink behind the Green Mountains.  As the sun was setting and Mozart was playing, it occurred to me that it had been almost exactly a year since that terrible trial. 
The revelation was shocking:  If someone had told me during that awful week a year before, "Don't worry, in one year you will be sitting on the top of a mountain, watching the sunset, listening to Mozart while holding your new baby," I would not have believed it.  
The Captain and I learned a thing or two from that trying week:   Trust in God and His goodness. Sometimes He works in us.  Sometimes He works on us.  Let trials pull you together, not apart.  
That was over ten years ago, and whenever we face a new trial (and there is always one lurking, it seems) we point to that week and remind each other that God has always taken care of us.  He is always working for our good.  
I would not have chosen to go through the trials of that week so long ago, but I am thankful Hurricane Elvis came to visit us that day.  I don't think we could have strengthened our faith any other way.  
He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things?

0 Comments to Hurricane Elvis:

Comments RSS

Add a Comment

Your Name:
Email Address: (Required)
Make your text bigger, bold, italic and more with HTML tags. We'll show you how.
Post Comment
Website Builder provided by  Vistaprint